We’re in the business of providing impactful, world-class photography excursions & digital online learning courses.
You’re a detail oriented, organized, and experienced executive assistant with no problem juggling multiple tasks and responsibilities in a fast-paced environment. Supporting others is your thing. Satisfaction for you means taking care of the little (and big) things that help leaders lead more effectively.
Your job as the Executive Assistant to the Director will be ensuring his schedule, projects and commitments are executed flawlessly.
There is also an element of customer service involved with this position as you’ll be helping out with making & managing guest reservations as well.
The Executive Assistant position might be PERFECT for you if you’re a positive, tech-savvy, and organized self-starter with experience in a similar role.
You also understand that more often than not, it’s the little things that really count (it’s this mentality that helps you excel in a support role).
We’re looking for someone who’s happy to keep up with the fast pace of our growing team. Attention to detail and interpersonal skills that ensure discretion and confidentiality are essential.
A commitment to continuously learning, improving, and refining your skills is a part of who you are. As a remote team, we do things differently and we need someone who’s adaptable and able to work independently most of the time.
This is a full-time position — please don’t apply if you have other clients or manage a virtual assistant agency.
The Executive Assistant position will be mostly remote, but you will also work with the Director in person on occasion. This mainly involves both business & personal errands in Homer, Alaska.
You must live in or near Homer, Alaska, have reliable transportation and be available Monday-Friday between 7am – 3pm Alaska Time. This role also requires occasional weekend work & when the Director needs additional support outside of regular business hours. This may include on travel days where he may need to reach out unexpectedly.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Executive Assistant is responsible for managing and organizing the Director’s busy calendar and email inbox. You must be a strategic thinker with clear, quick, and effective communication skills.
Your responsibilities will include…
- Managing the Director’s calendar, appointments, travel and personal commitments.
- Managing the Director’s email inbox and providing a high-level of responsiveness and problem-solving skills aligned with a warm and professional attitude.
- Managing snail mail correspondence, running business errands & occasionally driving vehicles to/from Anchorage & to get serviced locally
- Being the Director’s handler — you’ll be in charge of helping him keep his time and schedule in order on his behalf.
- Managing the director’s correspondence while he is away in the backcountry or guiding Backcountry Journeys trips – occasionally for weeks at a time.
Example duties include:
- Helping plan and book travel
- Ensuring he hits his deadlines
- Always making sure the Director is in the right place, at the right time
- Working and collaborating with other key team members to schedule and execute new initiatives.
- Helping to set up meetings both virtual & in-person.
- Scheduling appointments
- Dropping vehicles off to get serviced & occasionally driving to Anchorage to rendezvous with our various trips & photo guides.
- Writing, proofreading, and the ability to capture ideas and turn them into written text (emails, team communications, etc.)
- Helping to manage files, documents, and photos in Microsoft OneDrive & Asana while maintaining an immaculate organizational structure.
- Manage miscellaneous projects as assigned
Skills and Abilities – The ideal candidate possesses the following strengths and skills:
- Previous experience assisting an executive, business owner or high level director
- A strong ability to manage multiple responsibilities daily. Set up calendar appointments, send out correspondence, track delayed payments, manage group settings, book travel…all in a day’s work!
- You’re a thinker and a doer. You don’t need to be told what to do — you’re innovative, resourceful, and able to anticipate what needs to get done.
- You must be a self-starter with the ability to be productive from your home office.
- A positive, high-energy attitude and get it done mindset that searches for solutions instead of focusing on struggles are essential. You think about your work in terms of outcomes and results, not hours worked.
- Highly organized and able to anticipate calendar needs well beyond this week.
- An interest in engaging with the team, vendors & contractors while communicating on Russ’ behalf.
- A high level of professionalism and emotional maturity.
- Detail is your middle name. You have high standards and mediocre is not a word in your vocabulary.
- You’re invested in becoming the best you can be and excited to work with a fun lovin’ team who’s happy to help you get there!
- Responsive and communicative. You know how to close the loop and confirm assignments are received and completed.
- Incredibly technically competent and current on the latest tech
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills — you have a knack for putting ideas into words and ensuring everyone is on the same page.
This is a remote work / home-based position. Please note that all candidates must have the following:
- Laptop or computer that is compatible with Microsoft and Adobe products
- Reliable Wi-Fi connection
- Quiet workplace
If you’re an experienced schedule organizer, a total people person, and you love working with a team that’s making a difference in the world, this might just be the opportunity you’ve been looking for.
Although we permit “side gigs” / work outside this role, it must not compete or overlap with the work we do or interfere with your role and responsibilities within the team. This allows us to project a united front, show that we are in this together as one business, and have the greatest possible impact.
If you want to step into a role with a great opportunity, enjoy knowing all the details and have an adventurous spirit, this just might be the role for you!
Backcountry Journeys Perks
Did we forget to mention all of the BCJ perks? We’re fast-paced and rapidly growing. Our small but mighty team is composed of talented and motivated individuals who enjoy coming into work. But these awesome perks help just a little too:
- Competitive compensation with bonus potential
- Two Weeks Paid Time Off plus flexible schedule allowing for additional time off
- Never working on your birthday again! Hit the beach or the spa, we don’t care what you do, just don’t come to work!
- Health Insurance Equivalent Payments after 90 days.
- What can we say? We really like each other! From team building events and happy hours to annual team trips, we like to work hard and play hard!
- Forget the traditional corporate culture. Have a question? Have an emergency? Having a bad day? At BCJ we are all family and here to support you however we can!
- Something you’ve always wanted to learn? We offer annual professional and personal development opportunities, and you get to choose!
- Opportunities to join in on trips to see what we’re all about!
If you’d like to be considered for this role please submit the application below along with:
- Cover letter and PDF of your resume
- Copies of your Driver’s License & Social Security Card
- A 3-minute video introduction telling us about yourself (We will not review videos longer than 3 minutes)